Softball conditioning plays a very significant role in one of the most admired sports in the United States – no other than softball. This requires more than just running on the bases or hitting the ball. This part of softball develops the strength, staying power, and endurance of every softball player. Once your team has properly enhanced this important aspect while honing their softball skills, every member of the team won’t only prevent physical injuries during a play, but can ensures the success of the team as well. Thus, every softball player must not ignore the importance of performing softball conditioning before setting foot in the softball field.
As a softball player, if you are in best shape, you can expect a good performance as well. So to ensure that you’re in good physical condition before going out into the field, you should therefore consider these softball training tips as a part of softball conditioning drill.
- The need to perform stretching exercises before stepping in the softball field. This should be observed by a softball coach that every member of the team is performing regular stretching exercises as warm-up before the play. The focus of this softball conditioning exercise is the muscle groups like arms, legs, shoulders, back and hips.
- Endeavor to practice sliding. Aside from collisions with the opponents, improper sliding usually the cause of physical injuries to players. So, there is a need for every softball player to practice proper sliding as it is also skill that needs to be enhanced. The coach must see to it that he trains or employs the practice on proper sliding once a week so that the muscles of the players would become familiar with the proper techniques.
- Aerobics exercise would also work well. This should be included as a routine for softball conditioning as it can strengthen the bones, muscles of the player while promoting good blood circulation and a healthy heart.
- When it comes to softball drills, varying the schedule of practices from least difficult to the most difficult trainings is important. This is a good way to condition the body of every softball player. But don’t forget to include fun and excitement into the team’s softball conditioning routines and practices. This is important to promote team building.
- To avoid physical burn out, let your team take some rest and relax in between workouts. You don’t want their muscles overly used as it can result to muscle damage.
- Although regular practice and exercise workouts do great to improve your performance, eating nutritious food will help you achieve your objective effectively. This is because without the energy your body needs, performing drills would be useless. Some of the recommended foods include whole grains, fish, vegetables and fruits.
- Mental preparation is also a part of softball conditioning. The players must remain positive even in the verge of losing. Let them perform in their mind using mental images that they are successfully winning the game. Also let them think of their past victories, this will serve as their motivating force to bring the trophy of success.